Thursday, October 1, 2009

Mushroom Mania

I see mushrooms everywhere. And fungi. I have been taking pictures of them for years. (see Year of the Mushroom post below.) Most of these are in my local woods, but some were taken in Michigan and some in Vermont. Many thanks to my neighbor for being the dog handler today, when I went back to document some of the shrooms Henson and I found yesterday on our walk. I have a mushroom book, but didn't bother to look any of these up. All names are fictitious (except for Indian Pipes). Some were hideous, some looked edible, and some were well past it. I think I have writing about mushrooms out of my system for a while!



These looked like oyster mushrooms, embedded between the legs of a tree trunk.


No one knew this 4-foot long, 2-foot wide fungi was 30 feet up on this tree trunk until it fell down in a storm. The trunk is bigger around than me.


Just hanging out mushrooms


Tall (2 ft) dark and handsome mushrooms


Front porch sized shelf mushroom, 8 or 10 feet above my head, 3 feet around, 2 feet deep


Moss mushroom


Purple potato mushrooms


More Indian Pipes


Lost button mushroom


Mushy upside-down mushrooms (although it looks like these got so slimy the tops slid down to the bottom, this is how they grew)


Mushroom land


Mushroom buddies


Bundle of mushrooms


Lotsa Lichen




Fungi on cow's tongue mushroom


Dead mushrooms


Ancient Indian Pipes


Colorless coral mushroom





All overexposed pictures taken by me. Please do not copy or use in any manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment