Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hence, the Dog



I rescued a dog 5 months ago. Then he rescued me.

I have never lived without a dog. Even while in college, I had my own dog at home to visit on breaks and a dog at my grandmother’s to visit on weekends. It would take a while to sit down and count, name, and remember all the dogs we’ve had, which we’re proud of. Life is just boring without a dog. I had forgotten that.

My old Wheaten terrier, the love of my life for 13 years (who booted out or outlasted a whole bunch of other loves), died in January. Within days, I fled the house for a week. I just couldn’t stand it. He’d been sick with an affliction apparently becoming more common in Wheatens, chronic protein wasting disease. It took its toll on both of us over the last year, as well as several friends and neighbors. At least I can say I don’t think he suffered until the end, when I put an end to that. He loved life and made it through a last Christmas, a last snow storm, a last night, and a last ride.

About 3 weeks later, I heard about an Airedale who needed a home. I know from terriers, and although I thought she would be too big, she’d lost her family and so had I, so I agreed to take her for a weekend to see how it went. Not well would be the general consensus. She was nice, but too big and too unhappy to be here. I took her back, and even agreed to try one more weekend, but she was not for me and vice versa. It was sad.


Soon after, I received an email about another dog who needed rescuing. I looked at the dog, read about the dog, watched the dog’s video, and decided he might be the dog. Everyone else from coast to coast (parents, friends, coworkers, dog sitter, dog groomer, dog walker) who looked at the dog told me he might be the dog. So I signed up. What a rigorous process! My mom said it was worse than what they went through adopting three kids! There were multiple applications, phone calls, emails, and a home visit. Luckily I passed. By the time I got through all that, I thought we’d sure better like each other!


His name is Henson. He came from far away. I don’t know why he was a stray, but his problems with “come” and “stay” may have had something to do with it. He likes it here. He sleeps in a wash basket in the closet. He came with heart worm and mange. We got rid of those and kept the name.

Now every day is an adventure again.

All photos were taken by me. Please do not copy or use in any manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment